Son Boronat History

HISTORY & HERITAGE

SON BORONAT

son boronat-4.JPG

Son Boronat

The fields and hillsides belonging to Son Boronat (app. 72.000 m2) are mostly covered with pine trees but also containing seven caves with archaeological site of great importance for the Balearic pre-history where of the "Cova de Son Boronat" is the most important. Here a sandstone urn with infant burial and a wooden coffin made from a hollowed tree trunk was found. Also ancient pottery and ritual offering were found in the cave together with wall paintings dated 1000 BC. Other caves seem to have been used as animal pens, shelters for shepherds and char coalers, etc. Small paths leading into the mountains and to the caves are found from the Son Boronat area.

 

In 2008, some parts of Son Boronat were carefully restored and the defense tower made into living areas and a wonderful roof terrace was made. The same year Son Boronat was "converted" into boutique hotel (agroturismo). Son Boronat continues to transform into a place of higher level of standard and service.

In the late 14th century a defense tower was built, mainly to keep an eye on Turkish pirates among others, but also to watch out for smoke and fires in the countryside. From the towers around the island, signs and calls were sent out alerting the people in the fields and in the towns of eventual attacks. Now they could prepare and defend themselves from the attacks.

 

Later on the main building "La casa dels Senyors" was built, mainly of granite which comes directly from the mountains. The most visible granite part is the stairs from the patio leading to the main building. The main building also contains a small chapel, which has been carefully restored.

 

The Olivepress and stable buildings were built afterwards making the owners able to more or less provide themselves with food, fruits and vegetables from the fields. The olive oil was sold on local markets around the island. During that period the "Qanāts" (Arabic watering canals) were built using the water from the mountains to maintain the gardens for oranges, lemons and other useful fruits and vegetables. The old water reservoir from 1910 was recently restored and today makes up the swimming pool.

 

The Colom family who have been residing on the Son Boronat estate for generations are also known by Guillem Colom Ferrà, who was a well-known Mallorquin poet. During the most repressive period of the Franco dictatorship, where writing in Catalán was forbidden, Guillem Colom Ferrà among others founded "Centro Regionalista de Mallorca" - an association which fought for the freedom of speech. Later on he won several prices for his theatre plays and poetry.